Saturday, December 3, 2011

Jingle Bell Jog 10k (2011)

"Racing teaches us to challenge ourselves. It teaches us to push beyond where we thought we could go. It helps us to find out what we are made of. This is what we do. This is what it's all about."
~Patti Sue Plumer, U.S. Olympian

I think this quote sums up my race today. I was fine all day yesterday until I got to Albany and started freaking out and got so nervous...I was nervous because I didn't want to be a failure again. I set such high goals for myself for every race and it really bothers me when I don't achieve that goal and made myself feel like I was a failure...

My friends and I were chatting and of course everyone was nervous...this race was their first 10k, for most of them. I remembered my first 10k race and remembered being VERY nervous! I was nervous because of the unknown...I didn't know whether or not I was able to finish on time. So I totally understood why they were nervous, but my friends didn't know why I was nervous...(well, now they know!!)

The morning of the race, I had perfect oatmeal from Starbucks, drank some water to hydrate and taped my calf and my knee before I walked out that VERY COLD December morning. I met my friends and chitchatted (and stretched) before we lined up. My goals for this race was to beat my first 10k time and to try 5/2.5 intervals all the way.

The sound of the gun roared in the air and all runners started running. I started my interval app (Runkeeper) and then started the Nike app once I crossed the line. I decided to run with Dawn because there was no way I could keep up with Dana and Missy, who were running like the winds!!

The first set was fine even though my feet were so numb from the coldness...second set...it was fine, even though it was a little bit tougher than the first set...Dawn and I were pretty much on the same pace. She walked a bit faster than I was but I was able to catch up with her once my running interval started. We were doing great with pace and we knew we were going to finish in less than 1:30...but in my head I REALLY wanted to finish in 1:20...by the pace we were going, I really felt like that was possible!

Then we came across a downhill. I usually pace myself throughout the race even on the downhill, but not today....I decided to speed up and ran down the hill as fast as I could! It felt so good knowing that I pushed myself and was able to do it!

By now it's getting hot and I had to take off my jacket. Once we crossed the halfway point, I gave my jacket to Amy and started on our 2nd lap. The 2nd lap was harder than the first lap and my intervals got all messed up but I kept running as much as possible.

By 4.5 miles in, I started to feel the pains on my left shin and my right calf even though I taped my calf with kinesiology tape!! If this was me a year ago, I would've stop running and walked because I didn't have the mentality to overcome the pains. But this is a new me, a new Emy that is a runner...My mind won over the pains and I KEPT RUNNING!!

That's when I felt another surge of energy and started running faster again! Could it be the sports beans that I ate at mile 4??? Or could it be just me wanted to show myself what I'm capable of?? I ran hard during the intervals and walked fast during my walking intervals. When I turned onto the last road towards the finish line, I saw an old lady in front of me...walking and running. Well, nothing against old ladies who are still active enough to run 10k but I did NOT want to finish after this nice lady. So, on the last stretch to the finish line, I ran hard again, passing the old lady and crossed the finish line STRONG with my hands up in the air and a big smile on my face!

The feeling of accomplishment was great!! Sure, I didn't get to finish in 1:20 like I wanted to, but I've learned a very important lesson from today's race! I learned that when you push yourself and give all you got in a race, the feeling of accomplishments that you did your BEST overcome the feeling of failure of not reaching your goals.

My official time for Jingle Bell Jog was 1:26:20 (PR for 5k and 10k according to Nike+GPS App). It wasn't the goal I set in mind but at least I ran faster and was able to shave 3 min off my first 10k!!


No comments:

Post a Comment